The Oregon FFA convention started earlier today! We hope everyone there is having an amazing and memorable experience!
Want to know more about the great state of Oregon? Here are some facts:
- The nickname for Oregon is The Beaver State, originating in the early 19th century when fur hats were fashionable and Oregon’s streams were an important source of beaver pelts. The trapping routes used by early “mountain men” later became known as The Oregon Trail, traveled by thousands of pioneers in the 1840’s.
- Oregon leads the nation in the production of blackberries, hazelnuts, loganberries, black raspberries, ryegrass seed, orchardgrass seed, crimson clover, fescue seed, boysen and youngberries, sugarbeets for seed, red clover seed, potted florist azaleas, Christmas trees, Dungeness crab and storage onions.
- Oregon ranks #2 in the nation for the production of peppermint, snap beans for processing, hops, spearmint and red raspberries.
- Crops account for 69% of the state’s total sales.
- Greenhouse & nursery, hay, grass seed, wheat, potatoes, Christmas trees, storage onions, and pears are the leading crops in Oregon.
- Beef cattle and dairy products are the most important livestock commodities to Oregon and rank as fourth and fifth on the top commodity list.
- Groundfish, crab, shrimp, tuna, salmon, and oysters are important to the commercial fishing industry in Oregon.